Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Summer in Oslob, Cebu

It was April when our family decided to go summer outing. The choices were Argao, Sogod, and Oslob. The "elders" have decided that we'd go to Oslob, but not in Tan-awan where there are whale sharks. My uncle has a friend who owns a beach house in Nueva Caceres, Oslob. And that was where we went.

May 29, 2015.

Everyone at home woke up early to get ready. We left the house at 8:00 in the morning, and arrived 3 hours later.

Bonghanoy's residence in Oslob

The place we stayed in is a two-storey house made of wood, not just ordinary wood, but an expensive wood.

The place during low tide

The beach is not ideal for swimming because of its shallow waters. But if you just want to enjoy the sea breeze and dip yourself in the water, then this is perfect. As you can see, the beach is so sandy. There are no rocks in the water, but there are a lot in the shore. One of the many things I like in this place is the gazebo. From there, anyone can enjoy the view of the sea without getting tanned. :)

The gazebo ;)

Sunnies in summer

The place is great for a family reunion, group getaway, or even honeymoon. The owners of the house rarely stay in this place, so they decided to make money out of it. Clever, right?



There are also plenty of "swaki" in the area. (To those who don't know what "swaki" is, it is a sea urchin. But, hey, not all sea urchin is edible.) My sister, aunt and I were looking for those in the sea. And here's what we gathered!

I'm proud to say that I gathered some of these.
"Suwaki" can be eaten raw. What my Aunt Malou did was she broke the outer layer and removed the insides. The insides were added with vinegar (I forgot the other ingredients she added) for better taste. The "elders" ate the "suwaki", but I did not. Hihihi. I am foreign to that food. Just kidding.

Around 9:00 am, there were a bunch of kids riding a banca nearby. I really wanted to go with them in the deeper part of the sea. I asked permission from my father if I could go with those kids. As usual, he said no (even if I nagged him to death). Tsk! Fortunately, the caretaker of the house heard my conversation with my father. The caretaker said in our language, "You wanna go diving in the deeper part? Don't worry. I have a pump boat. Mine is better than those kids'. Using the banca is dangerous." I asked him where his boat was and he said, "It's still out there in the sea. My friend is still using it so that he could fish. You still have to wait until 12:00 noon. He'll be back for his lunch." Hooray! I got what I wanted.

So if you want to go diving somewhere, just talk to the housekeeper and he'll take you there. How much? I have no idea. Why would I care? I wasn't the one paying. Mehehehe!

That's me smiling at the camera.


That's my cousin, Kuya Sean.


We were having a good time swimming in the deeper part of the sea when out of nowhere, a sea snake (or maybe it was an eel) appeared. Someone announced that there was a sea snake and almost everyone in the water panicked, including my big fat younger sister. And guess what? She hurriedly went back on the boat, and it almost lost balance! When the boat went sideways almost flipping, we panicked! Duuuh! Who wouldn't?!

The sea snake (or maybe eel)


Sun-kissed skin so hot, I'll melt your popsicle. Oh oh oh.

Picture-perfect Oslob sunrise :)


Aside from the beach, I really wanted to go to Tan-awan (which is infamous for its whale sharks), Tumalog Falls, and the Heritage Park. So sad that the "financiers" were not interested to go there.

It was Saturday when we decided to attend the anticipated mass in the church in Oslob. When we got there, the odds were in my favor. Yipeee! Why? Because the Heritage Park is just near the church! We got there earlier so we decided to take pictures!




With my big younger sister haha

That's the church in the background.
In front of the church, you can buy street food like tempura, fishball, and kwek kwek. There were also vendors selling chips.
After the mass, we still roam around the park and took pictures. There's also baluarte by the sea. Sorry for the crappy quality of the picture below. It was getting dark that time.


The baluarte

So to those who want to explore Oslob, I recommend this beach house. They also have clean bathrooms with showers. I was really so excited that I forgot to take pictures of the parts of the house. If you're really interested, you can search their Facebook page "Beach House for Rent in Oslob, Cebu" :)

The Valderrama Clan

Goodbye, Oslob. See you soon! *fingers crossed*

Questions? Comment below.

If you've been to this place, share your experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment